Friday, August 20, 2010

Cherish Your Children

Today a family that lives two doors down from us laid their baby girl to rest. It is such a sad time for their family, and our neighborhood. Her name is Lauren, and she was 6 years old. It was a medical problem that was complicated by other circumstances. I did not know it, but our little Lauren considered her her best friend. Her family has only lived in our neighborhood for about 8 months, and in that short time our children had fallen in love with her. Her parents could not have done anything to prevent her passing. It was a true tragedy.
Tonight, as they do many nights, our children asked us to sing to them. Usually Jodie does the singing, and I do the story telling. It had become bothersome to be asked to do this. Tonight was different. Thinking of how much our neighbors must want to be able to do that, I thought it selfish not to take every chance to fulfill our children's wishes. Really, it should be like that every night. Even if they don't leave us early, we only have a finite time of which we can be the center of our children's world. We should take every chance to do so.
Our Lauren has written a letter to their family explaining that she is in a better place, and is with Jesus now. She also told them that she missed Lauren, because "she was the only person who was just my friend, and was never mean to me." I did not know that. Talk to your children. I thought she was just an acquaintance. Turns out she was my little girl’s best friend. I should have done more to know her.
Lauren Howard will be missed by us. I hope that her family has the comfort, my little girl’s letter expressed.

1 comment:

beccabeck said...

I am so sad for that family and for yours. Please give Lauren my love. Is this the same child that you told me about a few weeks ago (without getting into details... the one you sent a text to Jodie about)?
Only yesterday I was talking with the librarian of my school about Jesus Christ, Heavenly Father, and His eternal plan. She is of another faith but we share so many common beliefs that we simply elect to word differently. Sure, our beliefs are different in many ways, but we discussed cherishing our kids and spending as much time with them as you possibly can. Just as you have written above, we can only be this significant in the lives of our children for so long, and we never know how long that will be.
I miss you and your family. I love you all so much. Words are not enough, I know.
Once again, my love to your family (and a special hug for Lauren). It is wonderful that they KNOW that Lauren H. is in a wonderful place and that they understand the significance of this life. "Through the mouths of babes..."